Monday, March 3, 2008

To all those who were born in the 50's, 60's and 70's

*~* First, we survived with mothers who had no maids. They cooked /cleaned while taking care of us at the same time.
*~* They took aspirin, candy floss, fizzy drinks, shaved ice with syrup and diabetes was rare. Salt added to Pepsi or Coke was remedy for fever.
*~* We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets.
*~* As children, we would ride with our parents on bicycles/ motorcycles for 2 or 3. Richer ones in cars with no seat belts or air bags.
*~* Riding in the back of a private taxi was a special treat.
*~* We drank water from the tap and NOT from a bottle.
*~* We would spend hours on the fields under bright sunlight flying our kites, without worrying about UV rays which never seem to affect us.
*~* We go into the jungle to catch spiders without worries of Aides mosquitoes.
*~* With mere 5 pebbles (stones) would be a endless game. With a ball (tennis ball best) we boys would ran like crazy for hours.
*~* We caught guppy in drains / canals and when it rained we swam there.
*~* We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually worry about being unhygienic.
*~* We ate salty, very sweet & oily food, candies, bread and real butter and drank very sweet soft drinks, sweet coffee/ tea, ice kacang, but we weren't overweight because ... WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!
*~* We would leave home in the morning and play all day, till streetlights came on. No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.
*~* We would spend hours repairing our old bicycles and wooden scooters out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.
*~* We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, multiple channels on cable TV, DVD movies, no surround sound, no phones, no personal computers, no Internet. WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!
*~* We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and we still continued the stunts.
*~* We never had birthday parties till we were 21,
*~* We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and just yelled for them!
*~* The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.
*~* They actually sided with the law!
*~* Yet this generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!
*~* The past 40 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.
*~* We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL! And YOU are one of them!
CONGRATULATIONS!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Donyoo, leave the 70's out. They are enjoying what we didn't get to. Those born in the 70's are much more lucky. They get to attend kindergarten, drink formula milk instead of condensed milk, buy toys instead of making them, have chicken meat whenever they want instead of tasting them only during Chinese New Year. For me, my first KFC meal was in IPoh at the age of 18. Fizzy drinks was a luxury, and my first pair of 'sebatu' was a $9.90 Bata. Otherwise it was plain Fung Keong and rafia tied pair of Japanese slippers. For games, who need shoes?. Kaki ayam was the norm.
Want to be a man? Smoke Ardath or Senapang. It was cool to smoke. 555 was luxury. No we couldn't afford Dunhill or Benson & Hedges.
Life was difficult but I don't blame my parents for not giving me a better life. I was lucky they didn't forget to send me to school.

Anonymous said...

Donyoo, leave the 70's out. They are enjoying what we didn't get to. Those born in the 70's are much more lucky. They get to attend kindergarten, drink formula milk instead of condensed milk, buy toys instead of making them, have chicken meat whenever they want instead of tasting them only during Chinese New Year. For me, my first KFC meal was in IPoh at the age of 18. Fizzy drinks was a luxury, and my first pair of 'sebatu' was a $9.90 Bata. Otherwise it was plain Fung Keong and rafia tied pair of Japanese slippers. For games, who need shoes?. Kaki ayam was the norm.
Want to be a man? Smoke Ardath or Senapang. It was cool to smoke. 555 was luxury. No we couldn't afford Dunhill or Benson & Hedges.
Life was difficult but I don't blame my parents for not giving me a better life. I was lucky they didn't forget to send me to school.

Don Yoo said...

hi my friend, you forgot the other brand of cigarettes:"Consulate"! haha.Got mint one le!

Anonymous said...

The cute fellow is Donyoo 40 years ago..or Donyoo junior?
he is enjoying his hot spring vacation in Malaysia, he he...

Anonymous said...

Don Yoo...that is my photo you are putting up in your Blog...you terrible fellow...now everybody get to see me in my... Anyway, you can see I am a kind of a pretty relaxed guy...laid back, even when very young... no worries and that is why I am now reaching 70 years old. BTW I am Don Yoo's uncle... nasty fellow, took my photo but never gave me any credit...Don Vito

Anonymous said...

Could you send me a picture of the cute little boy... reminds me of an Uncle I once had (maybe still around as I have not contacted him for a long while....) could even recognise him even with his baby face...

BTW, Anonymous just revealed himself... aha... see, no need to put anonymous.. just your name "Leedon" will do... I do not know who you are... maybe just an admirer of Don Yoo!

bow said...

anonymous n leedon having the same mind-set,that is quite a smart way to identify yourself , anonymous!LOL